Available Tools to Run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
The following are some possible problem scenarios where you should consider running a low-level format or secure erase on the Intel® Optane™ SSD:
- If the operating system experiences slowness or freezing.
- If errors seen during installation of an operating system.
- If failures seen during read or write diagnostics.
- If errors seen during a regular format/initialization or partition on the SSD.
- If there are suspected issues with data integrity on the SSD.
Keep in mind that a low-level format or secure erase will remove all data contained on the SSD. If the SSD is the boot drive, a fresh installation of the operating system is recommended after the low-level format or secure erase.
|Important||Always back up your data before running a low-level format or secure erase.|
The Intel® Memory and Storage tool has the capability to perform a low-level format or secure erase. Some recommendations along with how-to instructions are available at How to Low-Level Format an Intel SSD with the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool.
Alternatively, a third-party tool could also be used to perform these operations. Here are some third-party tools that you can also use to run a low-level format: