Learn how to resolve the Intel® Optane™ Memory Pinning Error: Unable to load DLL ‘iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll'
After a Windows® 10 update, the following error message appears randomly during use of the system. On some systems this may also be presented as error code 0x8007007E.
Starting with the 22.214.171.1247 Intel RST driver, the way the Intel® Optane™ memory pinning components are installed was modified. If at some point the driver was upgraded from an older driver (for example 16.8.x) to a version between 17.5.x and 17.8.x, the OS update may try to reapply the removed installation files from the earlier versions. Due to a compatibility issue, an error message may appear. A system with factory installed (fresh OS installation) of Intel RST drivers between 17.5.x and 17.8.x are not affected by this issue.
To resolve the issue and prevent it from occurring after a future OS update, please download and Install the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver version 126.96.36.1999 or greater here.
If unable to update to the latest 188.8.131.529 or greater driver, see below steps for an alternative solution:
First, refresh the current driver package installed by repairing the Intel® Optane™ memory pinning extensions:
- Open Programs and Features (Press Windows key + r), type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and click OK.
- Locate and highlight Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions.
- Click Repair.
Second, remove the old pinning package so that the error does not reappear after the next OS update:
- Open Device Manager (Press Windows key + x).
- Expand the Software components field.
- Right-click the Intel® Pinning Shell Extensions field and select Uninstall Device.
- Check the box that states Delete the driver software for this device. and click Uninstall.
If you continue to see issues, contact Intel Customer Support for assistance.